Categories
Cycling Germany Historical buildings Monuments

Postcard Summer 2020#9 – Nuremberg

Until now we have avoided Nuremberg because of its tainted past but today we cycled there from Erlangen, a 53 k round trip and loved the old part of the town including the ramparts and Albrecht Dürer’s house.
Jusqu’aujourd’hui nous avons évité Nuremberg à cause de son triste passé mais notre visite en vélo depuis Erlanger, un aller-retour de 53 km nous a fait découvrir la veille ville avec ses ramparts et la maison d’Albrecht Dürer.

Categories
Architecture Czech Republic Monuments Postcards

Postcard #18 – Hluboká Castle, Bohemia

180_zamek_hluboka_nad_vltavaou
We cycled a total of 87 km return today in a heat wave to visit Hulboká Castle only to learn that there is only a guided visit in Czech lasting an hour! We decided it wasn’t worth it :). A Gothic castle was initially built on the site in the 13th century. During its history, the castle was rebuilt several times. It was first expanded during the Renaissance period, then converted into a Baroque castle by Adam Franz von Schwarzenberg at the beginning of the 18th century. It took on its current appearance in the 19th century when Johann Adolf II von Schwarzenberg ordered the reconstruction of the castle in the romantic style of England’s Windsor Castle. It is one of the most visited castles in Czech Republic.
Nous avons parcouru un total de 87 km aujourd’hui sous la canicule pour visiter le château de Hulboká. Malheureusement il y a uniquement une visite guidée en tchèque qui dure une heure ! Nous avons décidé qu’elle ne valait pas le coup. Un château gothique fut construit au 13ème siècle. Au cours de son histoire le château fut reconstruit plusieurs fois. Il fut agrandi pendant la période de la Renaissance puis transformé en château baroque par Adam Franz von Schwarzenberg au début du 18ème siècle. Il a pris son apparence actuelle pendant le 19ème siècle lorsque Johann Adolf II von Schwarzenberg a commissionné la reconstruction du château dans le style romantique du château de Windsor en Angleterre. C’est l’un des châteaux les plus visités en République tchèque.

Categories
Cemetaries Monuments Villages

Princesse Bibesco

81_princess_bibesco_grave
While we were walking in Ménars on Sunday, I saw a street sign that said “Princess Bibesco”. It led to a cemetary  with a large mausoleum and I discovered more about this intriguing princess whose photo you can see below.
The daughter of the Prince of Chimay and Emilie Pellapra, Valentine was born in Ménars in 1839. Married at 22 to Prince Paul de Bauffremont, she obtained a legal separation but not a divorce. However, in 1875, she married Prince George II Bibesco in Berlin. Forced to pay heavy penalties to her first husband, she had to auction off Château de Ménars, inherited from her mother, in 1876.  She died in Romania in 1914. Her daughter-in-law, Marthe Labovary, who married George Valentin III, son of Valentine and Prince Bibesco, was a well-known writer and was buried in Ménars in 1974, near the tomb of Emilie Pellapra.
Lorsqu’on se promenait à Ménars dimanche j’ai vu une rue qui s’appelle Princesse Bibesco. Elle mène au cimetière ayant un grand mausolée au milieu. J’ai appris l’identité de cette princesse au nom fascinant dont vous pouvez voir la photo ci-dessous.
Fille du Prince de Chimay et d’Emilie Pellapra, Vallentine naît à Ménars en 1839. Mariée à 22 ans au Prince Paul de Bouffrement, elle obtient la séparation de corps mais pas le divorce. Elle épouse néanmoins le Prince Georges 2 Bibesco à Berlin en 1875. Devant payer de lourdes pénalités à son premier mari, elle doit vendre aux enchères en 1876 le château de Ménars dont elle avait hérité de sa mère. Elle décède en Roumanie en 1914. Sa belle fille, Marthe Labovary, qui a épousé Georges Valentin, 3ème fils de Valentine et de Prince Bibesco, sera un écrivain reconnu et sera enterrée à Ménars en 1974, près du tombeau d‘Emilie Pellapra.
82_princess_bibesco_portrait

Categories
Fountains Historical buildings Loire Valley Monuments

Château de Saint-Denis-sur-Loire

60_chateau_saint_denis
Saint-Denis Castle goes back to the middle ages. The original stronghold was bought by the Hurault family in 1341 and converted into an elegant manor house. The base of the old fort has been preserved and forms a terrace. The bill of sale mentions the presence of a thermal spring.
After Catherine de Médicis was crowned Queen of France in 1547, she rehabilitated the thermal baths. Her husband, Henri II, King of France and his son Henri III, who was crowned in 1575, came to take the waters at Saint-Denis-les-Fontaines, as it was then known.
In 1851, Elisabeth Hurault rehabilitated the waters and obtained permission to have the mineral baths of Saint-Denis-Lez-Blois restored by a company whose president was Eugène Riffault, mayor of Blois.
Le château de Saint-Denis remontent au Haut Moyen âge. Cette ancienne place forte est achetée par la famille Hurault en 1341 et agrandie pour être transformée en élégant manoir. Les soubassements de l’ancienne forteresse sont conservés et forment une terrasse.L’acte de vente mentionned la présence d’eaux thermales.
A partir de la moitié du XVIème siècle, Catherine de Médicis devenue Reine de France en 1547, entreprend la réhabilitation des Thermes. Henri II roi de France son époux, son fils Henri III futur roi de France en 1575, vinrent prendre les eaux à Saint-Denis-les-Fontaines
En 1851 Elisabeth Hurault réhabilite les eaux et obtient l’arrêté d’utilité publique qui permet l’exploitation des sources minérales de Saint-Denis-Lez-Blois par une société présidée par Eugène Riffault, maire de Blois.

Categories
Monuments

Hero of the Resistance – Héros de la résistance

55_war_memorial_resistance_heroThis memorial in nearby Chaussée-Saint-Victor was erected in honour of Roger Auger and Maurice Caillard, heros of the Resistance, who were shot down on 19th Apri 1944 by the Nazi, a sad reminder of the past.
Ce mémorial à deux héros de la résistance se trouve à la Chaussée-Saint-Victor, triste souvenir du passé.

Categories
Historical buildings Monuments Orléans

Orléans Court of Justice – Palais de justice d'Orléans

ldp_268_cour_inside
This is the main court room in the Orléans Court of Justice designed by François_Narcisse Pagot and inaugurated in 1824. Below you can see the outside. The sculptures and bas-reliefs are by Romagnesi. Among other things, it contains the Appeal Court where I was sworn in yesterday as an expert translator which means I can translate for the court and certify translations in French and English. It was difficult to take the top photo because of all the lights. About 20 experts in various fields were sworn in at the same time.
.Voici la salle d’audience principale du Palais de justice à Orléans construit selon les plans de l’architecte François-Narcisse Pagot. Les sculptures et bas-reliefs sont signés du sculpteur Romagnesi. Il abrite entre autres la cour d’appel où j’ai prêté serment ici comme traducteur expert ce qui veut dire que je peux traduire pour le tribunal et certifier des traductions en français et en anglais. C’était difficile de prendre la première photo à cause de la lumière. Environ 20 experts qui exercent dans différents domaines ont prêté serment en même temps. 

Categories
Monuments

The American Memorial – Le mémorial américain

ldp_259_american_memorial
On July 15, 1944, at 7.29 pm, Robert E. Jenkins, a Californian pilot in the 63rd squadron, 56th fighter group of the 8th US Air Force based at Boxted airfield in South-East England crashed in his “Thunderbolt, in the forest of Blois near Molineuf. He was confirmed dead by the German senior doctor and his body, initially buried in the local cemetery, now lies in the American military cemetery of Colleville-Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer in Calvados.
Le 15 juillet 1944 à 19h29, Robert E. Jenkins, pilot californien de l’escadron 63 du 56ième groupe de combat de la 8ème US Air Force basé sur le terrain d’aviation de Boxted au sud-est d’Angleterre s’est écrasé à bord de son “Thunderbolt” en forêt de Blois à côté de Molineuf. Décès constaté par le médecin chef allemand et son corps d’abord enseveli au cimetière communal repose dans le carré militaire américain de Colleville-Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer dans le Calvados.

Categories
Historical buildings Monuments Postcards United States

Postcard from New York – The Freedom Tower

photo_193_new_york_skyline
The One World Trade Center (or 1 World Trade Center or 1 WTC) that you can see on the right, was nicknamed the Freedom Tower when construction begin. It is the main building in the new World Trade Center complex in Lower Manhattan and the highest skyscrape in the western hemisphere. The 104 storey tower has the same name as the northern tower of the initial World Trade Center, destroyed during the terrorist attacks on 11 September 2001. The photo was taken from the Staten Island ferry that goes past the Statue of LIberty in the photo below. The weather was very hot and humid.
Le One World Trade Center (ou 1 World Trade Center ou 1 WTC) que l’on voit à droit, a été surnommé Freedom Tower au début des travaux). C’est e principal bâtiment du nouveau complexe World Trade Center dans le Lower Manhattan, à New York, le plus haut gratte-ciel de l’hémisphère ouest. Cette tour de 104 étages porte le même nom que la tour jumelle nord du World Trade Center initial, détruite lors des attentats du 11 septembre 2001. La photo est prise depuis le ferry qui va à Staten Island, en passant devant la statue de la Liberté dans le photo ci-dessous. Temps chaud et humide.
photo_194_statue_liberte
 

Categories
Architecture Monuments

The Father of French Chocolat – Le père du chocolat en France

photo_113_chocolatThe claim to fame of René Moreau (1587-1656), depicted on this monument in Montreuil-Bellay where he was born, and physician of Louis XIII and Louis XIV is to have introduced chocolate into France.
La plus grande gloire de René Moreau (1587-1656), représenté sur ce moment à Montreuil-Bellay dont il est natif, médecin de Louis XIII et LouisXIV, est d’avoir introduit le chocolat en France.