Categories
Architecture Historical buildings

Louis XII fountain – Fontaine Louis XII

place_louis_xii
The Louis XII fountain was reconstructed in 1511 by the distinguished engineer Pierre de Valence. Up until the 19th century, it was located at the corner of Saint Lubin and Bourgmoyen streets. However, when the houses behind it were destroyed to build the Louis XII square in 1820, it was transferred to the southern corner of the square which is why it looks a little out of place. After being damaged during the Revolution, it was restored in 1890.
La Fontaine Louis XII a été reconstruite vers 1511, par le maître fontainier, Pierre de Valence. Jusqu’au 19ème siècle, elle se trouvait adossée au mur des maisons à l’angle des rues Saint Lubin et Bourgmoyen. Lorsque les maisons ont été détruites pour construire la place Louis XII en 1820, elle a été installée à l’angle sud de la place ce qui explique pourquoi elle ne semble pas à sa place. Endommagée pendant la révolution, elle a été restaurée à partir de 1890.

Categories
Architecture Historical buildings

Denis Papin's House – Maison de Denis Papin

photo_29_passage_couvert

The construction at 13 rue Pierre de Blois, known as Hôtel de Villebresme, or more recently, and for no justifiable reason, as the house of Denis Papin, in honour of the city’s inventor of the steam engine (hang on, wasn’t that James Watt?) and the pressure cooker, were built in the 15th and perhaps early 16th centuries. The two buildings on either side of Rue Pierre de Blois, constructed for a member of the Villebresme family, owners of Château de Fougères sur Bièvre, are linked by a wooden footbridge above street level, with prismatic mouldings, gothic decor, monstrous heads and acrobat. The property was reduced somewhat in the 19th century.

Cet ensemble au 13 rue Pierre de Blois, connu sous le nom de Hôtel de Villebresme ou, plus récemment de façon fantaisiste, maison de Denis Papin, en l’honneur de l’enfant du pays qui a inventé la machine à vapeur et la cocotte minute, date du 15 ème siècle, limite 16 ème siècle. Construits pour un membre de la famille de Villebresme, propriétaire du Château de Fougères sur Bièvre, les deux bâtiments situés de part et d’autre de la rue Pierre de Blois sont reliés par une passerelle de bois enjambant la rue, avec moulurations prismatiques, décor gothique, engoulants, acrobates. Le 19ème siècle a vu la réduction de la propriété de plusieurs façons.

Categories
Historical buildings

Saint Jacques Fountain – Fontaine Saint Jacques

photo_27_saint_jacques
It’s very easy to pass by the fountain on Place du Marché au Beurre without seeing it, because it’s on the original street level which has now been raised, and partially hidden by the terrace of the Saint Jacques Restaurant . It was given to the town by Louis XII under the somewhat uninventive name of “Neighbourhood Well Fountain” and renamed Saint-Jacques Fountain after a collegiate church that has now been destroyed. Since its construction, it has been fed by the “Gouffre”, a natural reservoir that collects rain water and seepage and has been used since ancient times to supply the city with water.
Vous pouvez passer devant cette fontaine sans la voir car elle est en contre-bas de la Place du Marché au Beurre au niveau du sol ancien, et derrière la terrasse du restaurant Saint Jacques. La fontaine a été offerte par Louis XII à la ville sous le nom “fontaine du puits du quartier”, un nom guère fantaisiste. Elle est désignée ensuite fontaine Saint-Jacques du nom d’une église collégiale aujourd’hui détruite. La fontaine est alimentée par le “Gouffre” depuis sa création, réservoir naturel recueillant les eaux de pluie et d’infiltrations et exploité depuis l’antiquité pour alimenter la ville en eau.

Categories
Architecture Historical buildings

Sculptures on the Acrobats' House – Sculptures sur la Maison des acrobates

photo_28_acrobat_close-up
Here is a close-up of the sculptures on the Acrobats’ House. On the ground floor, not shown here, the subjects are religious, especially angels. On the first floor, a jongler or minstrel can be seen in the middle, with a figure wearing a hat with an upturned brim on the right. The one on the left is wearing a long bonnet. Perhaps they are man and wife.
On the second floor, which has the finest set of sculptures, a knight, kneeling on one knee is wooing a woman with a hennin on her head. The figure on the left is holding a large scroll.
The figures most certainly pertain to 15th century fables and farces.
Further information on the figures in French can be found on the website of Bertrand Auschitzky http://bertrand.auschitzky.free.fr/AppendicesAuschitzky/LaMaisondesAcrobates.htm while Philippe Byron has posted good close-ups of the sculptures on http://www.flickr.com/photos/biron-philippe/7084188845/lightbox/
Voici les sculptures sur la Maison des acrobats en plus de détail.  Au rez de chaussée, qu’on ne voit pas dans la photo, ce sont des sujets religieux, surtout des anges. Au premier étage, un jongleur ou ménestrel se trouve au centre, avec à droite un personnage portant un chapeau à bords relevés et à gauche, un personnage dont la tête est couverte d’un long bonnet, les deux étant peut-être mari et femme.
Au deuxième étage, le plus beau motif, un chevalier, un genou à terre, fait la cour à une dame debout, coiffée d’un hennin. A gauche un personnage tient entre les mains un gros rouleau.
Les personnages font surement allusion à certains fabliaux ou farces de l’époque.
Vous pouvez consulter le site de Bertrand Auschitzky pour plus de renseignements sur les personnages http://bertrand.auschitzky.free.fr/AppendicesAuschitzky/LaMaisondesAcrobates.htm et celui de Philippe Byron pour plus de photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/biron-philippe/7084188845/lightbox/

Categories
Architecture Historical buildings

The Acrobats' House – La maison des acrobats

photo_26_maison_acrobats
The Acrobats’ House, one of the oldest in Blois, has two jettied upper storeys with brackets and corbelling carved with scenes and characters from mediaeval comic tales or fables.
Only half-timbered houses with very rich decoration can be dated. Here, the clothing of the figures on the façade is prior to 1480. This has been confirmed by dendrochonologic analysis (study of growth rings in timber) which shows that construction dates back to the 1470s, i.e. during the reign of Louis XI.
It’s currently selling for 312,000 euros, agency fees included, but requires renovation.
La maison des acrobates, l’une des plus vieilles bâtisses de la ville, se distingue par deux étages en encorbellement et par des consoles et avant-soliers sculptés de scènes et de personnages tirés des fabliaux ou fables du Moyen Age.
Seules les maisons à pans de bois qui présentent un décor suffisamment fourni peuvent être datées. Ici, les vêtements des personnages qui ornent la façade sont antérieurs à 1480. La datation par dendrochronologie (études des cernes du bois) l’a confirmé en identifiant une construction remontant aux années 1470, c’est-à-dire contemporaine du règne de Louis XI.
La maison est à vendre, au prix de 312.000 euros, frais d’agence inclus, mais avec des travaux à prévoir.

Agence Loire et Charme: http://www.loireetcharme.com/blois-quartier-historique
 

Categories
Historical buildings Sightseeing

Bar Saint Nicolas

photo_14_bar_saint_nicolas
Le bar Saint Nicolas se trouve juste en face de l’église du même nom, construite entre 1138 et le début du XIIIe siècle ; elle présente des caractéristiques du tout début de l’art gothique. Les chevaux de trait attelés aux carrioles de touristes sillonnent les rues de Blois.
Saint Nicolas Bar is just opposite the early gothic church of the same name, which was built between 1138 and the beginning of the 13th century. The horse and cart is a popular way of visiting Blois.
 

Categories
Art Historical buildings Restaurants

Les Forges du Château

photo_13_sign
Wrought-iron sign on Les Forges du Château tea room, which serves light meals based on regional and gourmet products sold in its boutique. Located just opposite Royal Castle of Blois. There is also a 15th century wine cellar.
Enseigne en fer forgé du salon de thé Les Forges du Château, situé en face du château royal de Blois et proposant également une restauration de midi à base de spécialités régionales et des produits gastronomiques proposés en magasin. Il y a également une cave à vin du 15ème siècle.
 

Categories
Historical buildings Sightseeing

Church of Saint Vincent of Paul – Eglise Saint-Vincent-de-Paul

photo_8_saint_vincent_de_paul
Saint Vincent de Paul was built between 1625 and 1660 on the site of an old chapel and is part of the Catholic Counter-Reform movement in Europe. Construction progressed slowly until Gaston d’Orléans stepped in. His initials, like those of his daughter Anne-Marie, are inscribed on the façade. After falling into disuse during the French Revolution, the church was rehabilitated in 1826 and restoration was begun in 1847.
L’église Saint-Vincent-de-Paul a été bâtie à partir d’une ancienne chapelle, entre 1625 et 1660. Elle s’inscrit dans le grand courant européen des églises de la Contre-Réforme catholique. La construction progressa lentement jusqu’à l’intervention de Gaston d’Orléans,dont les initiales, comme celles de sa fille (Anne-Marie), sont reportées sur la façade. Désaffectée pendant la Révolution, elle est rendue au culte en 1826 et restaurée à partir de 1847.

Categories
Historical buildings Sightseeing

Frieze on Hotel Alluye – Frise sur l'hôtel Alluye

photo_7_frieze_alluye
Frieze on Hotel Alluye, n° 8 rue Saint Honoré, built by Florimond Robertet between 1498 and 1508, treasurer for three kings – Charles VIII, whose emblem was the blazing sword, Louis XII with his porcupine and François Ier symbolised by the salamander.
La frise sur la façade de l’hôtel Alluye, au n° 8 rue Saint Honoré, construit par Florimond Robertet entre 1498 et 1508, qui était le trésorier de trois rois : Charles VIII dont l’emblème était l’épée flamboyante, Louis XII avec son porc-épic et François 1er symbolisé par la salamandre.
Bâti entre 1498 et 1508