Categories
Architecture Blogging Blois Historical buildings

Pavillon de l’octroi

Pavillon de l’octroi in Avenue Gambetta, Blois

In the middle of the 19th century, the Mayor of Blois decided to levy a tax on goods entering Blois, a commun practice at the time. A total of sixteen customs houses were built on the roads leading into Blois, two near the train station. The tax was abolished in 1920 and all but three of the customs houses were demolished or completely made over. The two near the train station, designed by Jules de la Morandière in 1854, in the style of the 15th century, are surprisingly different today, as you can see.

Au milieu du XIXe siècle, le Maire de Blois, décide de taxer les marchandises qui entrent dans la ville de Blois, pratique courante a l’époque. En tout seize barrières d’octroi sont construites à l’entrée de chaque route entrant dans la ville, dont deux à la gare. Les octrois sont supprimés vers 1920 et seuls trois de ces bâtiments ont survécus, les autres ayant été démolis ou complètement transformés. Comme vous pouvez constater, ceux de la gare, conçus par Jules de la Morandière, en 1854, dans un style XVe siècle, sont assez différents aujourd’hui.

The second building which is directly opposite the first
The first building seen from the side.
Categories
Blois Historical buildings

The Grain Market – La Halle aux grains

La Halle aux Grains – Blois

The Grain Market in Blois is actually a fairly modern building (inaugurated in 1850. It replaced the old 13th century wheat market. The materials used (polychrome brick and stone), the slate roof and the turrets that flank the building, are reminiscent of the Louis XII wing of Blois Castle. Inside, four rows of stone pillars arranged in a rectangle and supporting a gallery on the first floor, form a nave and four side aisles. It has eight large entrances. From the outset it was designed for public events such as dances, trade fairs and political meetings. Today is a performing arts theatre. The photo is taken from the side.

La halle aux grains, qui remplaça l’ancienne halle au blé du 13e siècle, est une construction plutôt récente (inauguré en 1850). Les matériaux (brique polychrome et pierres) , la toiture d’ardoises et les tourelles qui flanquent l’édifice, entendent rappeler l’esprit de l’aile Louis XII au château de Blois. A l’intérieur, quatre rangées de piliers en pierre disposées en rectangle et supportant une galerie à l’étage, déterminent une nef et quatre bas-côtés. Huit grandes entrées ouvrent le bâtiment. La Halle est destinée dès le début à accueillir diverses manifestations telles que des bals populaires, des expositions commerciales et des réunions politiques. Aujourd’hui c’est une scène nationale. La photo est prise sur le côté.

Categories
Architecture Flowers and gardens Historical buildings

The Chinese Pagoda – La pagode chinoise

Romorantin

This private mansion was built in the 1870s by the manufacturer and mayor of Romorantin, Anatole Aristide Normant (1835-1889). It was surrounded by an enormous garden. The pagoda built in 1879 was used to store water to maintain the grounds. After his death, It was bought by his brother Louis-Antoine, one of the owners of the building in yesterday’s photo.

Cet hôtel particulier fut édifié à la fin des années 1870 à Romorantin par Anatole Aristide Normant (1835-1889), manufacturier et maire de la ville entre 1871 et 1875. Après sa mort elle a été achetée par son frère Louis-Antoine, l’un des propriétaires du bâtiment figurant à la photo d’hier.

Categories
Blogging Historical buildings

Ramsgate – La Porte des beliers

Romorantin

Romorantin also has an industrial past. The family business of Normant Frères specialized in the production of woollen sheets. It was founded around 1815 by three brothers, Antoine (1784-1849), Jacques Benjamin (1793-1823) and René Hippolyte Normant (1796-1867), and disappeared in 1969, after an unique industrial adventure that lasted more than 150 years.

The Romorantin factory was then taken over by Matra Automobiles, until 2003. In 2011, only the monumental entrance known as Rams’ Gate, and the loom room, both listed as historical monuments, were able to escape the massive destruction of the site conducted by the municipality and aimed at rehabilitating the area which is close to the city centre.

Romorantin a également un passé manufacturier. L’entreprise familiale Normant Frères était spécialisée dans la production des draps de laine. Elle a été fondée vers 1815 par trois frères, Antoine (1784-1849), Jacques Benjamin (1793-1823) et René Hippolyte Normant (1796-1867), et a disparu en 1969, après plus d’un siècle et demi d’une aventure industrielle unique.

L’usine de Romorantin-Lanthenay a ensuite été reprise par Matra Automobiles, jusqu’en 2003. En 2011, seules la grande porte d’entrée dite des béliers et la salle des métiers à tisser, deux parties inscrites au titre des monuments historiques, ont pu échapper à la destruction massive du site conduite par la municipalité en vue de la réhabilitation urbaine du quartier qui est très proche du centre ville.

The right side of the same building.
The same building taken from the bridge over the Sauldre
Another industrial building that fortunately has been preserved.
Categories
Blogging Historical buildings Houses

Hôtel Saint Pôl

La Chancellerie – Romorantin

These two striking 16th century buildings are just next the one in yesterday’s post. The wattle and daub Chancellery housed the royal seals. The facade of the Hôtel Saint Pôl on the right and below, is made of stone and brick. It consists of large lozenges formed by enamelled bricks whose particular shade of green is complemented by the terra-cotta bricks in-between. The window mullions have disappeared. On the upper level there is a projecting turret that probably started on the ground level and contained the staircase whose base has been demolished. According to tradition, François I accidentally received a burning firebrand on the head from one of the windows of the house on January 6, 1521.

Ces deux bâtiments remarquables du XVIème s. sont à côté de celui qui a figuré dans mon post d’hier. La chancellerie à pans de bois et briques abritait les sceaux royaux. La façade de l’hôtel Saint Pôl est en pierre et brique. Les parements présentent une disposition de grands losanges formés par des briques émaillées d’un ton vert, s’harmonisant avec celui de la brique ordinaire dont sont faits les remplissages. Les croisillons en pierre des fenêtres ont disparu. Au deuxième étage se trouve une tourelle en saillie qui devait autrefois avoir son départ au rez-de-chaussée et contenir l’escalier. La base de l’escalier a été démolie jusqu’à ce niveau. Selon une tradition, François Ier aurait reçu accidentellement, depuis l’une des fenêtres de cette maison, un tison enflammé sur la tête le 6 janvier 1521.

Hôtel Saint Pôl – Romorantin

Categories
Architecture Historical buildings

On the outskirts – Le carroir doré

Le carroir doré Romorantin

This 15th century daub and wattle house used to be on the outskirts of the town. Now it’s in the centre and has been turned into a museum.

Le carroir doré (carrefour à l’orée de la ville) est une maison à pans de bois et de torchis du XVème siècle. Désormais proche du centre il abrite un musée.

Categories
Historical buildings

The Public Baths – Les bains douches

Romorantin

This was the first building of interest we saw in Romorantin. The bathhouse was built in 1927 in the Art Deco style. The pediment illustrates the beneficial waters of the establishment which had 17 showers and 7 baths. At a time when few houses had their own bathrooms, it played an important role in the town. In the nineteen sixties, the standard of living was much higher and the baths became obsolete. In 1998 it was turned into a subsidized grocery store.

C’est le premier bâtiment d’intérêt que nous avons vu à Romorantin. Les bains douches ont été construit en 1927 dans le style Art Déco. Le fronton illustre les vertus de l’eau bienfaitrice de l’établissement qui comptait 17 douches et 7 baignoires. À une époque où peu de maisons avaient leur propre salle de bains, il jouait un rôle important dans la ville. Dans les années 1960, le niveau de vie était beaucoup plus élevé et les bains sont devenus obsolètes. En 1998, il a été transformé en une épicerie sociale.

Categories
Architecture Historical buildings

A Museum in Sologne – Un musée en Sologne

Romorantin

Yesterday was cold and windy so we stayed home and worked so we could go to Romorantin today instead. It was still windy but the sky was clear and it was warmer at 12 degrees Celsius (54 F). Romorantin is the capital of Sologne, known for its ponds and venison. It is also the name of a traditional French variety of grape now used exclusively to make cour-cheverny wine. Here you can see two of the city’s water mills built in the 16th century which now house the Museum of Sologne. The 12th century Jacquemart Tower below guarded the southern entrance.

Categories
Architecture Historical buildings

Beloved George’s – Bienaymé Georges

Bourges

The house of Bienaymé Georges (alderman of Bourges and a familiar of the duchess of Berry, Jeanne de France) was built in stone after the fire of 1487. The dormer window is obviously a later addition. Unfortunately I can’t find any information about this apparently beloved man.

La maison de Bienaymé Georges (échevin de Bourges et familier de la duchesse de Berry, Jeanne de France) a été construite en pierre après l’incendie de 1487. La lucarne est un ajout bien sûr. Malheureusement je trouve aucune information sur cet homme apparemment bien-aimé.

Categories
Architecture Blogging Historical buildings

Palais Jacques Coeur Bourges

Front entrance of Palais Jacques Coeur

The Palais Jacques-Cœur in Bourges is considered to be one of the most sumptuous civil buildings of the 15th century in France and a masterpiece of flamboyant Gothic civil architecture, due to the elegance of its architecture and the richness and variety of its decoration. This 15th century building prefigures the private mansions that were to flourish during the Renaissance and is one of the very first examples of this type of architecture in France. It was built by Jacques Coeur, a rich merchant and master of the mint under Charles VII, to leave his mark on his native town, but he never lived there. We will go back and visit the interior when it opens again.

Le palais JacquesCœur à Bourges, est considéré de par l’élégance de son architecture, la richesse et la variété de sa décoration, comme un des plus somptueux édifices civils du xve siècle et un chef-d’œuvre de l’architecture civile de style gothique flamboyant. Cette bâtisse du xve siècle préfigure les hôtels particuliers qui fleuriront à la Renaissance et l’un des tout premiers exemples d’architecture de plaisance en France. Il naît de la volonté du riche marchand Jacques Cœur de bâtir une grande maison dans sa ville natale mais l’argentier de Charles VII n’y habita jamais. Nous retournerons visiter l’intérieur à la réouverture.

Statue of Jacques Coeur outside the palace
The back of the palace